Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Beads of Courage

If you attended Mayday Underground last weekend, you may have noticed a little sign next to my dishes of beads for sale that read "For every bead you buy, I will donate one bead to the Beads of Courage program." Beads are not something I have tended to make in large quantities as production items, but I find them to be fun, whimsical, and cheering both to make and to use. I found out about the Beads of Courage program several years ago, and have been waiting for the right way to include them as a part of Fine Specimen. I think I've found it!

Beads of Courage is a non-profit organization focused around giving heart and hope to children dealing with cancer and other illnesses. In their words, it is "a resilience-based intervention designed to support and strengthen children and families coping with serious illness. Through the program children tell their story using colorful beads as meaningful symbols of courage that commemorate milestones they have achieved along their unique treatment path."

You can read a summary of how the program works here.


So! I sold ten beads at Mayday Underground, and here are my ten best remaining cupcake beads, which I have selected to send to the program. I figure most kids like cupcakes, so I hope they make somebody happy!

My next craft show will be the first weekend in June, (Saturday the 1st and Sunday the 2nd) at Fairport Canal Days in Fairport, NY. I will be at the Emerging Artists' tent. Come find me and buy a bead or two!


No comments:

Post a Comment